Dumpy oil filters

E_T_V
Site Admin

Dumpy oil filters

Post by E_T_V »

Has anyone tried to get an aftermarket oil filter recently. The all seem to have shrunk to about half the original height.

Whilst this is good for lowered cars where the filter is rather vulnerable, I do have to question the filters effectiveness being half the size?

I've bought a service set from unipart to do the basic service, so I'll let you know how I get on when I'm due to fit it.

The only good thing is, when I checked my service isn't due for another 2k+ miles. (I always write the milage on the oil filter when I fit it).
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Re: Dumpy oil filters

Post by Disgusted »

I usually buy Mahle or Fram filters as it's what the local factors stock.

I think the filters are smaller as they also fit another application where there isn't so much space. Renault OE filters are very small anyway. A lot of aftermarket catalysts are considerably smaller than OE fit too, presumably in this case to make them cheap. They don't work as well even when new, and I've seen them knackered after only a year (and that is without any fuelling problems, burning oil or missfires accelerating wear).
Remi55
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Remi55 »

My Rover is running on the Polish oil filter brand "Filtron" (diameter: 94mm, height: 70mm)

I change the oil 2-3 a year and hadn't any problems with those aftermarekt filers ;)
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

i have a MAHLE filter waiting to be fitted and its hight is about 7.6 cm it will be my 1st time changing the oil on this car so i just assumed that was the normal size.
if the filter is smaller then surly there is less filter eliment surface area? and if so then would this not create an increase or decrease in oil pressure unless the filter eliment was not as fine thus allowing normal pressure but letting through larger abrasive particles and thats bad. or maybe there is a new more efficent filter element inside?

i remember in my old rover SD1 when the oil pressure used to drop i used to change the oil and filter and it would go back up again.
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Post by Disgusted »

The smaller filter will just mean it clogs up quicker. It won't affect the oil pressure.

The old oil probably got diluted with petrol and thinned with age, causing the drop in oil pressure.
countrydude

Post by countrydude »

The last time I bought a filter from local factors, ok it was for my maestro but usually they are the same price, £11!! I guess that is the price for a non dumpy filter these days. So if you can find one at a good price then fram still make the decent depth filters. If for the diesel they are shallow then ask for a t16 instead.
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Recommended Product Blog

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Great Product Website 1032199