oil

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

oil

Post by nicko500s »

hi
does anyone have an opinion on the best engine oil for a rover 45 diesel 02 plate on 122k running very well with no issues.
also is there a prefered oil filter? read something about the honda filter bieng better?

oh yer just thought is it possible to fit a BOV (blow off valve) or is that taking things too far LOL !
nicko
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: oil

Post by E_T_V »

In general millers tends to come recommended 10w40, in semi-synthetic or synthetic forms.
However so long as it passes the same specifications then the actual brand of oil doesn't matter a lot. What matters more is that it is changed regularly.

I would be suprised if the filters for honda and rover weren't exactly the same with a different logo printed on them

You might like to have a look at a bit I wrote on oil a little while ago

http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/menuservic ... anges.html

My L series is at 214k miles and still doesn't need topping up between oil changes (12-15k miles) so I can't be doing a lot wrong!
James

Post by James »

I used to use Halfords own brand semi synthetic in my L series, they often do good deals on their own brand oil. At the moment I have a gallon of it in my 1.6K to give it a bit of a slow, gentle clean. Rightly or wrongly I get my filters from the local factors and am not too bothered what they have to be honest. Many folks disagree with that but I am of the thinking that it won't be on there too long anyway (I change the oil quite frequently, every 6 or so thousand miles, regardless of if it's a petrol or diesel car I have).
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks for your replies, my friend who i got the car from says it has a fully sinthetic oil so i think i will try a ow30. as for the filter i decided on one from partco. i get cheeper car tax as its a more economicle engine??? around £120 a year!
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

I wouldn't go too low on the last number of the oil spec. the 40 or 30 is the viscosity when the oil is hot. The lower the number (in general), the lower the protection at high temperatures.
10w40 or 5w40 is fine for UK temperatures. If you were in iceland then maybe a 0w30 might be more appropriate.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks ive learned somthing important there i was thinking the lower the viscosity the less friction on the engine
and higher mpg and performance.
could of been costly mistake.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

You are correct to a certain degree the lower the viscosity the higher the economy (in general). However to protect from metal to metal contact the oil must remain a constant film between the components, and the lower the viscosity the harder it is for the oil to do this.

As an example 10w40 is common in our cars, however for racing you might go to a 10w50 as the oil gets hotter. The higher hot viscosity giving improved protection when the engine oil is at high temperature.

Many more modern diesels are designed with 5w30 oils, however ours isn't so I wouldn't risk it in the UK anyway.
bob123

Post by bob123 »

Hi,

I have a rover 420 sdi i.e. turbo diesel with 98,000 on the clock. I've normally used Castrol magnatec 10w40. However I jsut bought CAstrol Turbo Diesel Edge oil which is 5W40.

Is it ok to switch to a slightly diff oild i.e. the first number is lower. I am switching primarily to get a better economy, from reading the article somewhere on improving economy. Although I dont want to compromise engine protection. Have already bought the oil and planning service on wednesday. Back of my mind just wanted to check changing to 5w40 from 10w40 is ok.

Thanks,
Bob
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Yeah it'll be fine. It means that when it is cold the oil is thinner which generally means better cold start protection.

The improvement in economy will be pretty small but it is perfeclty ok to put 5w40 oil in (in the U.K.)
xenome
Spanner Twirler

Post by xenome »