218 SLD ecu troubles

cally4x4

218 SLD ecu troubles

Post by cally4x4 »

Hi new here and new to rovers

Hello got a rover about 6 months ago as a cheap runner but on friday as i pulled away from the lights the engine died and all the lights on the dash went out so i pushed it to the kerb and got a tow from a workmate.
Today i had a look at it and its a fuse 40a under the bonnet so i pulled all the fuses out under the drivers side and put them back one at a time as soon as the engine management fuse (10a) went back in it popped the 40a fuse under the bonnet, i have been looking for the ecu all over but cant find it doesnt seem to be in the footwells or under the bonnet or behind the glovebox anyone have any ideas where it is??

Also has anyone had this prob before as its new on me i have looked for wires that might be on the body but cant see any as yet but its not easy getting to them

thanks for anyhelp
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: 218 SLD ecu troubles

Post by E_T_V »

Hi there,

Sorry I'm not very familiar with the XUD engine. As a stall has caused the issue I'd be looking at the engine earths and engine bay related wiring rather than blaming the ECU.

I'd look at the glow plugs and the wiring for them too as this could be the cause.

Have you checked the wiring diagram to see what else is related to that fuse?
cally4x4

Post by cally4x4 »

Hi and thanks for the reply

I dont have a wiring diagram im only saying its the ecu because the fuse is listed as the engine management fuse and as soon as i put it in the larger 40amp fuse under the bonnet pops, the car didnt really stall i thought i had stalled it but im guessing as i pulled away the engine rocked and something earthed but without being able to find the ecu or what the engine management leads to im a little lost from what i can see so far i would have to take most of the cars insides out to show the looms inside but with the ecu i could see what wire has gone (i think)

cheers
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

I'd check the stop solenoid wire on the fuel pump, as if this has come loose the engine won't run, and if the loose end touches metal then you could blow the engine management fuse.
cally4x4

Post by cally4x4 »

thanks for the help could you tell me where that is also its not the inside fuse thats popping its the big 40amp under the bonnet the 10amp inside is ok its just when its pushed in it pops the other one

cheers
cally4x4

Post by cally4x4 »

Little update I found that pulling out glow plug relay has stopped the fuse popping can anyone tell me if there is more than just the glows on that circuit feel like I'm getting somewhere but couldn't start the car even if I heated the glows with a lead
using wides I phone if there are typoes
cheers
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

cally4x4

Post by cally4x4 »

Hi thanks for all the help dude i got the car home yesturday after getting lucky im not sure what i dont but after messing with all the wires under the black fuse box under the bonnet the car stopped popping the 40a fuse but i will try and look at it over the weekend and see what else uses the glow plug reply as unplugging that did stop the fuse from popping but i was unable to start the car so guess there are a few thing on it

cheers
nemo

Post by nemo »

Hi there a little late I know, but the PSA XUD engine was never ECU controlled it used a Lucas/CAV pumpwhich had simple cold start controls
FrankJScott
Spanner Twirler

Best Product Site

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Updated Product Site 99c570c