boost pressure

byronstingly

boost pressure

Post by byronstingly »

would my boost gauge still read full boost if there was a hole in the intake system. as i removed and cleaned out my inlet manifold at the weekend and refitted it with new gaskets and now the power seems to of dropped off alot. cheers
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: boost pressure

Post by E_T_V »

Not usually no. If there is a boost leak the boost pressure will drop, however the turbo speed will be much higher than normal so not a situation to ignore.

Have you connected the turbo feed to the MAP sensor or the fuel pump (depending on if it is intercooled or not).
byronstingly

Post by byronstingly »

yes to the map sensor (intercooler model) will the sensor in the inlet manifold affect power as i forgot to remove this when i cleaned it out, the only other symptom i forgot to mention is that when i had fitted the manifold i took it for a run and it was fine then when i took it out a few hours later and when the car was started there was a loud crack but engine seemed to be fine and ran like normal it has then sat for 3 days untill today i when i drove it the power was down.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

byronstingly wrote:yes to the map sensor (intercooler model) will the sensor in the inlet manifold affect power as i forgot to remove this when i cleaned it out, the only other symptom i forgot to mention is that when i had fitted the manifold i took it for a run and it was fine then when i took it out a few hours later and when the car was started there was a loud crack but engine seemed to be fine and ran like normal it has then sat for 3 days untill today i when i drove it the power was down.
The sensor in the manifold detects air temperature, it is sealed so isn't affected by solvents etc so should still work fine after cleaning the manifold.

I'd be looking for an air leak or a pipe that has popped off as a first stab.

Is there any boost pressure?
Have you checked for the usual splits?