MG ZS TD 2001 fuel pump timing issues

Mike Hersee

MG ZS TD 2001 fuel pump timing issues

Post by Mike Hersee »

Hi, I'm pretty certain that something is not quite right with the timing of my fuel pump. It's not the No.1 cylinder injector or its connector, because when that is disconnected it gets notably worse. I don't think the timing solenoid has failed completely because occasionally it runs and it feels as though that's how it should, but that's only now and then. Most of the time the gearstick vibrates too much and it often sounds 'knocky' and is just a bit lethargic, but not quite as bad as an old tractor. It is fairly regular, ie, each engine pulse is about the same, whichever mood its in, so I don't think it's a failure of something relating to an individual cylinder. I did read recently that if the flywheel position sensor fails the engine may still run because it uses the camshaft position sensor as a substitute, even though it may be less accurate, which makes me wonder if there's an intermittent fault on the crankshaft position sensor - when when I start the engine the rev counter is working fine, which is usually the sign that that the crankshaft position sensor has failed, apparently. Can it use the camshaft position sensor as a substitute for driving the rev counter?

It seems to me that the behaviour fluctuates slightly, which indicates something failing to a degree. Could it even be the internal timing solenoid seal that is failing?

I noticed that the timing solenoid seems to be the same for the VE, VP29, VP30 and VP44 fuel pumps. I bought a VP44 timing solenoid from a Ford Transit supplier and had booked the car in for it to be fitted, but the supplier then wrote and said, if it's for a VP30, they need to know the serial number of the pump to make sure it's the correct one - first I'd heard of there being any difference. However, I've looked hard and used m 5.5mm endoscope, and even with attempted cleaning, the serial number is impossible to read. So what is the difference between different types of these pumps, how do I tell if I can't read the serial number of the pump, and if it's not the exact right one, is the wrong timing solenoid completely useless?

This is getting frustrating, so any help gratefully appreciated