Which engine will fit

Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Which engine will fit

Post by Kieranm105 »

My turbo has died taking the engine with it last night. :(
What engine can I use to put on my freelander?
Will the l series sdi fit straight in? Thinking of the 120bhp one instead of getting another freelander 98bhp one.
Saves me doing the mods to the freelander engine.
Kieran
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Which engine will fit

Post by E_T_V »

First question to ask is "Is your engine actually dead?"

You'll quite often find that they survive if the engine is stopped before it runs out of oil.

Remove the intercooler pipes.

Fill up with cheap oil and try starting it. If it starts and sounds healthy then replace the turbo and off you go again. The L series is pretty hardy!

Otherwise if the engine is dead then you have a few options. Aside from freelander specific bits such as manifold and other odds and sods, all L series engines themselves are the same. The fuel pumps differ and there are 4 types. The non intercooled 200/400 (84bhp). The intercooled 2/4/600 (103bhp), the intercooled 25/45/zr/zs (101bhp), and of course the freelander. You'll have to fit the freelander pump unless you want more work again.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

The turbo is definatley dead, shaft inside is flopping about when it isn't meant to.
There was great plumes of white/grey smoke (it was dark so difficult to see exact colour) then the revs went up to red for about 30 seconds then it shut down and wouldn't start again.
There is oil left in the sump as I checked the dipstick, it was low but some in there. The starter still truns and other ancilliaries still work, battery was flattened so gave it a boost from the car when I looked at it yesterday.
The injector pump is making a whining noise when the ignition is on and trying to start?

I am thinking of the intercooled 25/45/zr/zs (101bhp) if the ancilliares (alternator, power steering pump etc from the freelander will fit) otherwise I will look for a cheap freelander one and get a good turbo.
If this one fits I guess I will need to change the intercooler as the pipe comes from the rear rather than the side/bottom like the freelander??

Just looking at costs at the minute, I have spent too much on the truck and like it too much to scrap her!
:(
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

Trying a turbo first and seeing if that is all it needs.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Like I say if you remove the intercooler pipes and put oil in the engine you'll see if the engine is damaged or not.

Chances are it'll be fine and then you can source a new/good turbo to fit.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

All fixed!!! :D
No need for an engine just cleaned out intercooler and pipes and a new turbo.
Managed to get a very low mileage one (100500 model). My mechanic had to use some of the old turbo and turn some bits around to get it to fit. But all works great now.
Kieran