Warm up time

mach1rob

Warm up time

Post by mach1rob »

I note that anything over 5 miles to warm up points to a dodgy thermostat, now mine is odd, sometimes it will warm up within a couple of miles (usually leaving work where I'm straight onto a NSL dual carriageway), other times it'll be 5+ before warm air will start blowing out the vents. Today I bought a new stat, only to find the factors have given me the wrong one, great, just what you want on a long bank holiday weekend, so car is currently sat outside minus stat and pipes.

I've tested stat in a pan, and it opens and closes fine, so I don't think the stat is at fault, however I did notice the small bypass hole was blocked solid. I've cleared that, and flushed the system, and fair bit of crud came out. Hopefully may help the situation, but I'm open to any other suggestions.
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Warm up time

Post by E_T_V »

If in any doubt then get the right stat and put it in. As your problem is intermittant then i'd avoid putting the original one back in as you just know what will happen.
mach1rob

Post by mach1rob »

Well depends when they're open again, if they're shut till Tuesday, means car is stuck on ramps till then (stats in oil cooler rather than the plastic one) Just a good job I'm on holiday next week.
Mike Hersee

Post by Mike Hersee »

i have a similar issue with my 2002 ZS diesel. The temperature gauge can get to the middle bar on the gauge in about 15 minutes in normal conditions, but it takes significantly longer to start getting what I'd call an adequate amount of heat. I had the thermostat changed and it made no difference. I haven't flushed it though so don't know if that would make a difference. But what's annoying is that I know other cars can start producing a significant amount of heat much sooner than that.