Hi All

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.
Ledlights

Hi All

Post by Ledlights »

Hi everyone,

I've got a 1999 220 Di Turbo that I've had since 2007. A really good car that's very underrated.

When the body finally gives out to rust (it's already showing up), I've got an idea to fit the L-series in a P6 using an LT77 box...... Lots to work out for that one though!

I hope to be able to contribute where I can.

Regards,

Steve
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Hi All

Post by E_T_V »

Is the LT77 box the same one as used in the series landrovers? If so there are adapter plates already available to make the fitting easier. (The adapter plate is for the prima but the L series is extremely similar so likely to fit).
Ledlights

Post by Ledlights »

I think it was used in the LR but it was also used in the Sherpa and the SD1. I understand the R380 gearbox is similar but improved over the LT77, so this might be another possibility. There's a great site that discusses using the L series in a Sherpa camper van, www.pimpmysherpa.co.uk and he uses a modified Prima adaptor plate.

The real concern I have is in grafting the L series electrics into the P6. How bad was it for you to put them into the maestro?

Regards,

Steve
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

It depends on which version you use. The simplest is the D (non-intercooled). The hardest the Di / 25/45 etc

If you have a look on my camper build thread (in the lounge forum) you'll see it looks quite scary. It actually isn't that bad but it is certainly not a 2 min job.
Kieranm105
Spanner Twirler

Post by Kieranm105 »

LT77 and newer R380 were both used in defenders and discoverys
Ledlights

Post by Ledlights »

I've looked through the camper build thread with great interest - do you have any more details on the wiring issues using a Di engine please?

Thanks,

Steve
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

Ledlights wrote:I've looked through the camper build thread with great interest - do you have any more details on the wiring issues using a Di engine please?

Thanks,

Steve
Well you need to install a few sensors and the ECU and relay packs. I also installed the immobiliser which made things a little more complicated. To disarm the immobiliser you'll need to send your ECU away to be bypassed.

You need to rig up the TPS and the brake pedal switch, the speedo sensor is also needed from the gearbox. All the other sensors from the engine have to come of course. There are quite a few wires!