Reversing lights on all the time

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Reversing lights on all the time

Post by nicko500s »

I fitted a new gearbox & its working fine apart from the reversing lights where not working, bought a new switch but now they work in every gear & nutural and flickered on and off as I went through the gears, bought another switch, same problem, reversed the connections, still the same, rang the gearbox guy and he said he cant think how it could be the actual gearbox causing the issue.
both the switches where aftermarket, the same make from different sources.
should the switch have a washer? I would have thought so, there is one fitted which I think is the original steel one so I don't think its the thickness of the washer that's causing the problem.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: Reversing lights on all the time

Post by nicko500s »

Right it have fixed this now, the switch is very sensitive in that a slight push on the protruding bit activates the lights, the new switches I bought didn't come with a washer and the washer I was using was a plastic one that was on the original switch that I took off, so who knows where that came from as it seems it was the wrong washer all along and the washer needed to be thicker.
The one that was fitted was 2mm.
I replaced it with a 5mm nut as I had no washer with me, I sealed it with a black silicone sealer, hopefully it should not leak.