Immobiliser

Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Immobiliser

Post by Disgusted »

I have decided to use the OE ECM in my van- I thought the injection timing was mechanically controlled so I was planning to make a control unit to do automatic glow plug timing etc. I have now found that the timing is controlled electronically so I have decided to use the Rover ECM.

I got the engine from a '98 Honda Civic and it is the non-intercooled version with conventional throttle cable.

The Civic does not have an alarm, and the immobiliser was operated through a chipped key and a transponder coil on the ignition switch, like the Ford and Vauxhall ones. The Civic has been scrapped now.

I have the ECM (red plug, 36-pin), all the engine sensors and the engine bay wiring loom up to the bulkhead. I don't have the immobiliser control unit or the wiring to it.

I am not worried about whether I have an immobiliser or not on the finished van but I would like to use this ECU. As I see it, one option to get a 5AS alarm unit and a fob or two, and get them programmed so they all match. The other is to remove the immobiliser completely, by sending the ECU to Allcar electronics or simillar.

I think the best way will be to have the immobiliser bypassed within the ECU and then make my own security arrangements. What do other people think?
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: Immobiliser

Post by E_T_V »

Disgusted wrote:I have decided to use the OE ECM in my van- I thought the injection timing was mechanically controlled so I was planning to make a control unit to do automatic glow plug timing etc. I have now found that the timing is controlled electronically so I have decided to use the Rover ECM.

I got the engine from a '98 Honda Civic and it is the non-intercooled version with conventional throttle cable.

The Civic does not have an alarm, and the immobiliser was operated through a chipped key and a transponder coil on the ignition switch, like the Ford and Vauxhall ones. The Civic has been scrapped now.

I have the ECM (red plug, 36-pin), all the engine sensors and the engine bay wiring loom up to the bulkhead. I don't have the immobiliser control unit or the wiring to it.

I am not worried about whether I have an immobiliser or not on the finished van but I would like to use this ECU. As I see it, one option to get a 5AS alarm unit and a fob or two, and get them programmed so they all match. The other is to remove the immobiliser completely, by sending the ECU to Allcar electronics or simillar.

I think the best way will be to have the immobiliser bypassed within the ECU and then make my own security arrangements. What do other people think?
What immobiliser does the non intercooled ones have? I'm not sure on the civic, but on the 600 setup that I have transplanted into my van the key has a chip in it. This is read by the immobiliser which then sends a "unique" code to the ECU to allow it to start. Without this code the engine will start but then cut out again after 1 second.

You can send the ECU away to have the immobiliser bypassed I believe which is what you'll have to do if you don't have the matching imobiliser and chip from the fob.
Disgusted
Bolt Twiddler

Re: Immobiliser

Post by Disgusted »

Ok cheers 8-)