boost gauge

nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

boost gauge

Post by nicko500s »

hi

how do i fit a turbo boost gauge on my rover 45 diesel 02 plate, mainly the vac pipe.

i had this info but now cant find it.

thanks
Nicko
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Re: boost gauge

Post by nicko500s »

i have sorted this now, managed to find info on another forum posted by ron, he knows his stuff.
i pulled off the rubber hose from the map sensor, pushed on a t piece, added a short hose and reconnected.
now just need to get through the bulkhead somewhere! any ideas? im thinking of drilling through next to the clutch cable?
nicko
E_T_V
Site Admin

Post by E_T_V »

If you have small bore tubing then you can squeeze it though the heater control valve cable grommet. You can also do it with conventional tubing but it is harder and you usually have to tape something into the centre of the tube to act as a guide to pull it though with.

You can usually find a suitable grommet without drilling holes in anything.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

thanks for the advise but i drilled through next to the clutch, i couldnt see where the heater cable came through inside the car.
i will mount the boost gauge on the steering colum cover behind and above the wiper stalk it looks good there i think and dosnt obscure the fuel gauge, i wired it up by pushing wires into the fuse holder, maybe i shouldnt but i always do! as long as the wire goes in on the daed side of the fuse it will still be fused, im going to put a bulb in the coin tray while im at it as well.
the boost gauge dosnt woek tho, i will check my wireing tomorrow,

nicko
Dakta

Post by Dakta »

Just for future reference, if anybody in the future is out there with a 400 or 45, you can get boost gauge wiring through a grommet behind the coolant bottle (2 x 10mm bolts), as the heater control valve is a little tricker on the 400's then the 200's.
nicko500s
Spanner Twirler

Post by nicko500s »

the boost guage i got from halfords was the posh one with the stepper motor that moves the needle on start up, it would be realy good but we tried three and none of them worked so we fitted an auto guages one which is ok but the needle is noisy during operation.
you can change the colours of this guage and the red matches the dash lights very well.

if u remove the outer part of the plasic base plate you can screw through the remaining part into the steering column cover and run the wires through the blank plate just to the right of the steering column, then u can simply run the wires to the fuse box and get an earth from the steering column but check it for earth before you make the conection as i found some areas where not a good earth.

nicko