L series Turbochargers

Dakta

L series Turbochargers

Post by Dakta »

There are several types of turbochargers used on the L series, as incidentally there are three types of L series.

We have:

- The non-intercooled D/SD L series, which is fitted with a 'vanilla' GT1549 turbocharger
- The intercooled, (SDi) fly-by-wire, also fitted with a slightly different GT1549 turbocharger
- The later L series, with the VP30 pump (25/45/ZR/etc), fitted with a GT1549S turbocharger.

- The stage one hybrid, if converted back to GT family codes, 'would' be a GT1552 (more on this later).

Let's start with the non-intercooled turbocharger (452151-0002/4/6):

This is the smallest and plainest turbocharger used on the L series, with a small compressor housing being the most obvious difference from the outside. As with all the turbochargers discussed here, compressor maps are not available, therefore information has been difficult to find. This is what we do know:

Compressor:

Inducer: 34.7mm
Tip Height: 4.44mm
Exducer: 49.07mm
Trim: 48
Hub length: 22.22
Part Number: 433256-0001

Turbine:

Inducer: 41.5mm
Tip Height: 7.21mm
Exducer: 33.99mm
Trim: 67
Part Number: 434713-0007

Intercooled (SDi) Turbochargers (452098-0002):
*Should be noted the 620 has a seperate part number (452098-0001) but this has no alteration of the spec of the turbo. (All internal components identical).

Very similar to the SD, but with a larger A/R ratio compressor housing amongst other minor differences (according to garrett this compressor housing alteration has little effect on turbocharger performance or efficiency). The mechanical parts are all the same as the SD:

Compressor:

Inducer: 34.7mm
Tip Height: 4.44mm
Exducer: 49.07mm
Hub length: 22.22
Part Number: 433256-0001

Turbine:

So basically the intercooled turbocharger is a hyped up version of the SD turbo, with a compressor housing that may or may not increase efficiency to a neglible degree.

Right, things are about to get interesting. Trust me.

Intercooled (Later L series - 25/45/ZR etc) Turbochargers (452283-0001/0002/0003):

Shares a seemingly similar compressor housing to the SDi, however there are clear visible differences in the compressor wheels, with the half height fins not being visible if compressor looked at straight on. The compressor wheel is also 'taller' with more angular fins.

Compressor:

Inducer: 34.67mm
Tip Height: 3.53mm
Exducer: 49.0mm
Hub length: 24.79
Part Number: 436132-0003

Turbine:

- Is the same old story:

As you can see, the differences are in millimetres, however they probably provide sufficient difference to explain partly why the 25/45's etc seem to gain power more easily than the other L series.

Now before I finish up, I thought i'd treat you to another turbo rundown - The Stage one Hybrid!

Stage One Hybrid Turbo - (exclusive to certain L series) - (Hybrid Style)

The stage one hybrid was an unknown quantity as no-one knew what it 'consisted of'. At best, you would be told it had the compressor wheel from a GT17 turbo and a standard gt15 exhaust side. Of course, we know as both GT17 and GT15 only tell you the turbo frame size, it gets us no nearer! Until now... (yep I've been dismantling!)

So without any further ado:

Compressor:

Inducer: 38.61mm
Tip Height: 3.53mm
Exducer: 52.0mm
Trim: 55
Hub length: 26.09
Part Number: 436132-0003

Turbine:

SAME AS ALWAYS!

To anyone who dislikes technical discussion - the general outcome really is 'more compressor than we need'!!!!

So here we are, at the end of this really long post. It doesn't tell us anything more than could be guessed, I suppose, and we are limited because of a lack of compressor maps, but maybe it will help understand our turbos a bit better.

I popped in for a chat at my local turbo centre a few days ago, to pick up some oil drain gaskets (I do seem to run through them, even he's starting to raise eyebrows). He was quite encouraging of my VNT plan (surprisingly so actually)...but we also had a chat about the hybrids, and I think it's fair to say we are both in agreement that it's the exhaust that is letting the side down. The L series turbocharger was only specced for an engine producing 100bhp, and the only turbocharger currently fitted to any L series with a bigger exhaust side (that can, to put it very simply -flow more through it) is actually the stage two, which just happens to be stuck inside a very small a/r standard machined exhaust side.

It's like giving yourself bigger lungs to help breathe in space.

Now, a long post like this wouldn't be any fun without pictures, so let's finish off with a nice family portrait of all the SDi, Rover 25 and Stage 1 hybrid compressors together:

Side by side:

Top: SDi - Left: R25 - Middle: Stage 1 Hybrid

Clear shot:

But anywho. Draw your own conclusions!
E_T_V
Site Admin

Re: L series Turbochargers

Post by E_T_V »

Very interesting. That explains some of the reasons why the 25/45 etc make more power than the 200/400, it might not all be down the the fuel pump! The turbo is different and flow more at the top end.

The larger A/R ratio on the compressor on the intercooled models will give better low boost performance than on the SD's.

The turbo I want to fit to mine actually has a smaller compressor than the stage 1 hybrid!